Virginia Tech in Alexandria
Virginia Tech’s presence in Old Town Alexandria dates back to 1980. Currently the university has three teaching locations on Prince Street and owns two other buildings on Patrick Street – the Rectory houses the American Institute of Architects (AIA) offices and the Gallery serves as a limited capacity dormitory for students in the region.
1001 Prince Street
1021 Prince Street
In 1981, following a successful pilot program in Old Town, the College of Architecture and Urban Studies (CAUS) formally launched the Washington Alexandria Architecture Center (WAAC). In 1985 the Virginia Tech Foundation purchased a building on Columbus Street where the WAAC was located until 1991, the year the Foundation purchased the center’s permanent home at 1001 Prince Street. Built in 1910 as the Lee School for Girls, the City of Alexandria used the building as a public school until 1980.
The Rectory and the Gallery on Patrick Street were purchased by the Foundation in 1986.
In 2001 the Virginia Tech Foundation also purchased the building at 1021 Prince Street. In 2003 the Metropolitan Institute (MI) at Virginia Tech was launched to conduct basic and applied research on national and international development patterns and a number of graduate programs moved into the newly renovated building.
901 Prince Street
The WAAC expanded its footprint in Old Town in January 2011, leasing a corner property at 901 Prince Street, one block east of its main building. This leased space includes studio, seminar, and office space for National Capital Region faculty and students in the landscape architecture and architecture programs.
The following graduate degree and certificate programs are offered in Alexandria:
- Government and International Affairs
- Landscape Architecture
- Public Administration and Policy
- Urban Affairs and Planning
The following research centers are offered in Alexandria: