Virginia Tech in Arlington
Virginia Tech has had a presence in Arlington since 2005 when the Advanced Research Institute (ARI) – launched in Alexandria as the Alexandria Research Institute in 1999 – was renamed and relocated to leased space on Wilson Boulevard in the Ballston area of Arlington.
In June 2011 the university opened the doors of its newly built Virginia Tech Research Center – Arlington at 900 N. Glebe Road., designed as a nucleus for discovery to expand the university's capability for new scientific inquiry and to extend its footprint in the National Capital Region. ARI and a number of other already established Virginia Tech research centers and institutes, previously located throughout the northern Virginia area, moved to this facility. In close proximity to government agencies and other public and private-sector organizations, the Ballston location offers great opportunity for partnerships with corporate research entities.
The research center is owned by the Virginia Tech Foundation.
Research in the center is organized around five focused themes: Cyber-security; Medical Technologies and imaging; Policy Informatics; Alternative Energy; and Global, National and Community Security.
The following research organizations are located at the Virginia
Tech Research Center – Arlington:
- Advanced Research Institute
- Arlington Innovation Center: Health Research
- Center for Geospatial Information Technology
- Center for Technology, Security and Policy
- Center for Leadership in Global Sustainability
- Computational Bioinformatics and Bio-imaging Laboratory
- Global Issues Initiative (Institute for Science, Culture and Environment)
- Hume Center
- Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science
- Naval Postgraduate School
- Virginia Bioinformatics Institute
- Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation
- Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute
- Virginia Tech Transportation Institute
Administrative offices for National Capital Region Operations are also headquartered at the Virginia Tech Research Center – Arlington.